Monday, May 4, 2015

Lesson 10 - May 4

Jacob was so so happy today!


He got to ride his bike to our house, which was awesome.

Here is what we did:

1. We talked about the Avengers movie. Jacob was so animated talking about it. I said, "Isn't it cool that the story came from a comic book?" That gave me an idea... stay tuned for a future lesson about comic books.




2. We reviewed the alphafriends song... sounds of the letters A-I again.





3. We played a matching game with the letters A-I. Every time we turned over a letter, we had to say the SOUND. He loved this game. We played it twice. I think he let me win the second time.






and now for the amazing part...............

4. JACOB READ ALL THESE SENTENCES!!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding!



The method -- take two sheets of white paper and cover everything except the letter Jacob is sounding out. When he gets the sounds of one word, show just that one word.

(He must be eating gluten free crackers as he is doing this. ;)

Repeat until he has sounded out each word, then show two words at a time.... then the whole sentence.

Basically he gets distracted and overwhelmed  when he sees too many words and letters. So covering them up helps. I explained this concept, and how it's totally fine to do whatever helps you.

After each sentence I said, "JACOB YOU JUST READ THAT!!!"



He was pretty proud of himself.



5. Jacob was so excited, in fact, he wanted me to video tape him reading them again, so his mom could see.

But once I turned on the camera, he got shy and his brain sorta closed a bit, and I could see it in his face. He suddenly couldn't read anything and was starting to go from a 0 frustration level to a 1, then a 2, and then a 3.....

(alert, alert!)

So I said, "Ok we are done. You are frustrated and that's ok. We are taking a break."


6. His anxiety came down immediately and he was fine. Instead, I read him a book about Polar Bears and some of our Calivn & Hobbes book that was sitting around.


I told him he had done GREAT today and had read those sentences.  He got to ride his bike home.


No comments:

Post a Comment