Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Lesson 3 - April 8, 2015

Jacob was happy and excited to learn today. 


Learning the letter Bb and some b vocab words.



1. We bounced a tennis ball back and forth while saying, "Buh, Buh, Buh." We actually put the letter b (printed out) on the floor and bounced the tennis ball on it.



2. We got out the playdough and formed the letter b.

Jacob really liked this activity!

I explained that some people learn through DOING so it can get from their hands to their brains.


We talked about how the capital B is an adult with a belly and a head, and the lower case b is a kid with just a face. Jacob is so funny.

3. Next we listened to a song about "what it would be like without the letter b" .... we'd have to ride in an oat instead of a boat and wear oots instead of boots. I found the song clip here. We listened to it a few times and talked about it.

4. Here are the 10 vocab words. Maybe I picked too many? Jacob was enthusiastic so we went forward. He said all of them without me asking him to say them.








5. I had Jacob pick 5 of the words for a little game. He chose:

BEE
BOW
BEAR
BALL
BIRD

He was especially drawn to BEE the whole lesson. Maybe because it's got a double e?? 

I took the 5 words (with picture) that he picked and posted them all over in our basement for him to find.

So back upstairs, I handed Jacob a little slip of paper with just the word (no picture), and he had to run down to the basement and find its match. He loved it!








He got all of these right.

Jacob loves to learn by DOING something very active.






 
 6. Next, we sat at the table and he drew pictures and we wrote a story about the five words. It was really funny how he combined the words.....

A bear tried to bite the boy. Then a bee came and stung the bear to save the boy. 

(There was a very long story here, but I tried to narrow it down. He obviously has a huge imagination.)



7. Then we placed all the 5 words (with picture) on the table, and when I held up the slip of paper with each word (no picture) he had to SLAP!!! the matching word. He loved this game!

(See my hand in the top left holding up just the word?)

He got most of them right.

I think since this was a faster game, and all the words were sitting next to each other, it was a little harder than just one at a time.








 8. Next we repeated the basement game and drawing/writing a story and SLAP!! with the last five vocab words:

BEAR
BOY
BOOK
BIKE
BAT

He did great with these also!


9. Finally, this was the true test. Would Jacob remember the words without the aide of pictures?

I am sad to say no. He didn't recall these on their own. I showed him each slip of paper one at the time and he couldn't get them.

I felt pretty let down, but Jacob seemed fine with it. He wasn't sad. After he got several wrong, we stopped.


I felt let down because he was doing so well! He was matching these slips of paper to the pictures.

But once the pictures were gone, so was the recollection.





I wonder if we spend another session on these words, if it will help him draw a connection. We'll try it.


10. I sent this little book home with Jacob to look through. It's just smaller print outs of his vocab words.













Jacob was awesome today! Very happy and willing to do anything I asked. A little less chatty than before. That is progress in my book --- it shows me he is OK with doing the learning activities.




No comments:

Post a Comment